Chicken Sausage Fajita-Style TostadasServings: 5
What you’ll need:
1 package al fresco Mild Mexican-Style Chicken Sausage, sliced
8 corn tortillas
2 tbsp canola oil
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 16-oz can fat-free refried beans
1 /2 cup salsa
Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, avocado wedges, shredded Monterey jack cheese, lime wedges, cilantro
- To make tostada shells: preheat oven to 400ºF. Place corn tortillas on a large baking sheet, spray both sides with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes, then flip and bake another 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Sprinkle with salt if desired, and let cool to room temperature.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the bell peppers and garlic, cook 3-4 minutes until beginning to soften and garlic is fragrant.
- Add chili powder and lime juice to vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ad the sliced sausage and cook 1-2 minutes. Keep vegetable/sausage mixture warm.
- Combine refried beans and salsa in microwave-safe dish. Heat on High 2-3 minutes or until hot.
- Assemble tostadas by spreading refried bean/salsa combination on tortillas, then top with sausage/vegetable combination. Serve with optional toppings.