Chicken Sausage Zucchini Boats
By Keri of Brunch With The Brittains
"Looking for a quick, easy and healthy weekend night dinner? Look no further with these Chicken Sausage Zucchini Boats. They bring Italian flavor without all the carbs and are done in just 30 minutes! "
Chicken Sausage Zucchini BoatsServings: 6
What you’ll need:
1 package al fresco Roasted Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausage, diced
3 large zucchinis
3 tbsp. olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
2/3 cup marinara sauce
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, then set aside.
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise, then using a spoon (or melon baller) remove the seeds, leaving enough flesh to create a channel or “boat” to hold the filling.
- Place zucchinis cut side up on prepared baking sheet, then lightly brush with about 1 ½ tbsp olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper, then bake for 10 minutes.
- While boats are in the oven, prepare your filling, by heating remaining olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion and diced yellow bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then stir in minced garlic. Then add in diced chicken sausage. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring in marinara sauce halfway through.
- Remove from skillet from heat and baking sheet with partially baked zucchinis from oven. Spoon in equal amount of filling into each zucchini vessel. Then top with parmesan and basil.
- Return filled zucchini boats to oven and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!