Creamy Orzo with Vegetables and Chicken Sausage
By Haylie of Our Balanced Bowl
"This ultra delicious recipe uses orzo, vegetables and alfresco Sundried Tomato and Basil chicken sausage! Made in one pot, the orzo is incredibly creamy, the vegetables are cooked to perfection and with each bite you get a taste of juicy chicken sausage. Simple, delicious and so easy for a weeknight dinner!"
Creamy Orzo with Vegetables and Chicken SausageServings: 4
What you’ll need:
1 package al fresco Sundried Tomato Chicken Sausages, sliced into half moon shapes
2 small bunches of broccoli, diced into small bite size florets
4 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 and 3/4 cups orzo
3 cups chicken broth
1 large lemon, squeezed
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper to season
Splash of heavy cream (if desired)
Red pepper flakes for garnish
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large and deep saucepan.
- Finely dice one large yellow onion. Mince garlic. Dice broccoli into small bite piece florets. Slice mushrooms. Dice chicken sausages in half and then into half moon shapes.
- Once the pan is hot, add the diced onions to the pan along with a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms with a pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes, flipping and stirring occasionally. Add in the broccoli next and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Lastly, add in the chicken sausage and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the orzo and let it toast for 1 minute, stirring around and then add in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to let it gently simmer to cook for 8-10 minutes until the orzo is cooked through.
- Once done, season with salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp of butter and stir in while the orzo is still hot - this will add SO much delicious flavor! Add in 1/2 of the juice of a large lemon as well. If desired, add a splash of heavy cream for decadence!
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes if desired. Enjoy! Store leftovers in a tightly sealed tupperware container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.