Gemelli with Broccolini and Italian Style Meatballs
By The Kitchen of al fresco
"This recipe is protein-packed with our Italian Style Meatballs and Uncured Chicken Bacon. It’s sure to leave your whole family feeling happy!"
Gemelli with Broccolini and Italian Style MeatballsServings: 4
What you’ll need:
1 (12 oz) package al fresco Italian Style Meatballs, fully cooked (12 meatballs)
1 cup broccolini, trim ends and cut into 1 1/2” pieces
1 (8 oz) package al fresco Uncured Chicken Bacon, use 3 slices
8 ounces gemelli pasta, dry
1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 cup Roman or cranberry beans, drained & rinsed
Cooking spray, extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread the meatballs onto a baking sheet that has been prepared with cooking spray.
- Bring 3 quarts of water in a large sauce pot to a boil, blanch the broccolini for 3 - 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider, set aside.
- Meanwhile, coat a large non-stick skillet with the cooking spray and cook the chicken bacon until nicely browned on both sides. Remove and chop. Use this skillet for the final preparation.
- Simultaneously, cook the gemelli pasta in the same boiling water as the broccolini. Cook according to package instructions.
- Place the meatballs in the pre-heated oven, bake 10 - 12 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to skillet and sauté the blanched broccolini for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, stir well and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, chili pepper flakes, chopped chicken bacon, salt, pepper, and roman beans. Stir ingredients to incorporate.
- Drain the gemelli, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add the gemelli to the skillet immediately, toss ingredients to become well incorporated. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta liquid.
- When meatballs are thoroughly heated, add to the skillet toss and serve immediately. Optional: Top with a tsp grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.