Grilled Chicken Sausage Pesto Pizza
By Danae of The Recipe Runner
"Keep the heat out of the kitchen and try grilling your next pizza! This grilled pizza with chicken sausage not only tastes amazing, but it’s easy to make!"
Grilled Chicken Sausage Pesto PizzaServings: 4
What you’ll need:
2 links al fresco Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
pizza dough (approximately 1 pound), divided into 2
2 tablespoons of pesto
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced thin and patted dry with paper towels
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
4-5 basil leaves, torn or chopped
- Heat the grill to around 500-550°F. Heat chicken sausage for approximately 5-7 minutes, turn them once.
- While the sausage grills, slice the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and chop basil.
- Remove the sausage from the grill and slice it into desired thickness.
- Stretch or roll the 2 balls of pizza dough into thin rounds and brush one side of the dough with olive oil. Place the dough olive oil side down onto the hot grill and brush the top of the dough with more olive oil.
- Grill the pizza dough with the lid closed for approximately 1-2 minutes then flip it over to the other side and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove them from the grill and spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on top of each one. Top with slices of mozzarella, tomatoes, sausage, and dollop with ricotta.
- Place prepared pizza back on the grill and grill with the lid closed until the mozzarella melts, approximately 1-2 minutes. Finish the pizza with the fresh chopped basil and a sprinkle of kosher salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.