Summer Farfalle Salad
By Melissa of @melsantell
"What’s a Summer picnic without the infamous pasta salad? This season, skip the average mayo-based preparation for a zingy, flavorful bite of farfalle salad paired with Al Fresco’s Sun-dried Tomato Chicken Sausages. It’s light, lemony and can be served room temperature or cold, making it an A+ accomplice for any beach day or blanket strewn across a grassy hillside. No matter how you choose to indulge, you’ll want to a cool glass of sparkling dry rosé nearby. Trust me on that! "
Summer Farfalle SaladServings: 4
What you’ll need:
1 package al fresco Sundried Tomato Chicken Sausage, sliced into rounds
2 tablespoons Butter
2 Yellow Onions
1/8 cup White Wine
16 oz. Farfalle Pasta
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
2 Garlic Cloves, grated
1/4 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
1/2 cup Goat Cheese, crumbled
1 heaping cup Arugula
Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn for garnish
- Caramelize the onions. Half each yellow onion and remove the crispy skins. Slice them from root to stem into 1/4 inch pieces. In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter and stir in onions. Sauté over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Onions should be deep amber colored, jammy and caramelized. Pour white wine over the onions to deglaze the pan. Season with a sprinkle of salt and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer caramelized onions to a small bowl and aside.
- Boil the pasta. While the onions are cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta al dente according to package instruction. Drain and set aside - but don’t rinse it!
- Prepare the sausage. Slice each sausage into 1/4 inch rounds. Wipe out the cast iron skillet used for the onions and sauté al fresco’s sundried tomato chicken sausages over medium heat. Cook until the sausage rounds are lightly browned and set aside.
- Whisk the dressing. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, grated garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Make pasta salad magic. Add caramelized onions, pasta, sausage, goat cheese and arugula into the dressing bowl. Toss to coat thoroughly. Garnish with torn fresh basil leaves, flakey salt and more goat cheese, if you’re feeling an extra cheesy vibe.
- Serve. This salad eats well at room temperate or when refrigerated. Give yourself whatever your picnic heart desires.