Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage and Gouda Sandwich
By Carolyn of Carolyn's Cooking
"I love a good sandwich and I’m always looking to create new and exciting ways to eat them. This combination of Sweet Apple Sausage, smoked Gouda and a tangy, crunchy slaw all piled onto a big bakery roll is a winner!"
Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage and Gouda SandwichServings:
What you’ll need:
1 package al fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, split
1 large bakery loaf or baguette
4 tbsp olive oil
3-4 slices smoked Gouda cheese
Salted butter, room temp.
3 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the slaw. In a large bowl, toss cabbage, carrots, onion, scallions, and ginger together. In a small bowl whisk vinegar, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp mustard, sugar and salt. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and stir,
- Slice the loaf longways without cutting all the way through. Spread a generous amount of butter and mustard on the inside of each roll.
- Heat a cast iron pan or skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and split chicken sausage. Cook until brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Line the sausage on the roll and cover with Gouda slices on the parchment paper. Bake in oven until cheese is melted, about 7-10 minutes.
- Pile slaw on each roll and serve!