Weeknight Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage Zuppa Toscana
By Allison of @girlgangandco
"This Zuppa Toscana soup featuring al fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage is the perfect cold-weather dinner. It pairs perfectly with artisan bread and a cozy night in!"
Weeknight Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage Zuppa ToscanaServings: 4
What you’ll need:
1 package of al fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage, diced
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 celery ribs, chopped
4 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken broth
Juice of 2 lemons
1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
Salt and black pepper
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Fresh thyme and shredded parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a large pot set over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot, reserving 1 tbsp. of bacon grease.
- Add the diced al fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage and onions and brown all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, celery, and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, lemon juice and red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the kale, half and half, and parmesan cheese. Cook until the kale is wilted, remove from heat and stir in the reserved bacon.
- Serve the soup topped with shredded parmesan cheese, fresh thyme and extra red pepper flakes.