Harvest Squash Soup with Chicken Sausage
By Shadell of Fuel Mana
"Cozy evenings call for cozy crockpot meals RIGHT?! The temps got down in 60’s and it just felt like the perfect opportunity to whip up something cozy. I made a harvest inspired squash soup with al fresco chicken sausage and it turned out AMAZING!"
Harvest Squash Soup with Chicken SausageServings: 10
What you’ll need:
2 packages of al fresco Roasted Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausage
6-7 cups butternut squash
3 cups baby kale
6 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 tbs olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp itallian seasoning
1 tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Peel and cute 1 large butternut squash into cubes.
- Mince 6 cloves garlic
- Dice 8 chicken sausage links
- Roughly chop 3-4 cups of baby kale
- Dice 2 cups carrots
- Heat 1 TBS oilive oil in a frying pan and fry sausage until glazed or golden brown. Stirring often for approx 4-5 minutes. Once sausage are done, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add more olive oil to pan if needed and add onion and garlic. Saute and stir often until fragrant.
- Add the butternut squash along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 8 minutes or so. Add a little chicken stock if the squash starts to stick to the pan.
- Add the butternut squash, onion, garlic, and sausage to a heated crock pot. Add 4 cups of vegetable broth, 1 tsp. of smoked paprika, 1 tsp. itallian seasoning, and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir all ingredients together and place lid on the crock pot to cook for 4 hours on high.
- Around the 3 1/2 hour mark, add the chopped kale and red wine vinegar stir to combine. Return lid to the crock pot for flavors to come together and kale to cook down. Approx. 20 minutes or so.
- Adjust salt and pepper plus spice levels to your liking.
- Serve with parmesan cheese (optional).