Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage French Toast Casserole
By Joanna of @joannamhui
"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it’s best to include protein in the meal. I always have Al Fresco’s chicken sausage on hand since it’s a great source of protein and easy to add to any recipe. This casserole is a favorite sweet and savory option to feed the whole family or a brunch gathering. You can even make it ahead so you can enjoy more of your morning with your loved ones!"
Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage French Toast CasseroleServings: 8
What you’ll need:
1 package of al fresco Sweet Apple Dinner Sausage, browned & diced
1 loaf of Challah bread (or any other bread), cubed
2 apples, diced
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups of almond milk (or any other milk/creamer)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place cubed bread onto a sheet pan and toast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Grease a baking dish. Layer toasted bread in bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle apples and sausage over the bread layer.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs and almond milk. Pour mixture over layers in baking dish, ensuring all bread is soaked in wet mixture.
- If you want to prepare the casserole the night ahead, cover the prepared casserole dish with aluminum foil and place in refrigerator. When you are ready to bake, remove from refrigerator and uncover the casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center of casserole is set.
- Drizzle maple syrup over casserole once it is removed from the oven. Serve with extra maple syrup on the side.